Wednesday, March 14, 2007

New Laptop

I’ve just ordered my new laptop. Hopefully it will be here before I leave for codecamp at the end of the month. Should be here just before I leave if they can deliver inside their 2 week estimate.

The main reason I went with this one was the size. It’s the same physical size as my current laptop (Dell 710m) but is a major upgrade on the innards.

Dell XPSTM M1210
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate
2Gb of Dual Channel DDR2 memory (667Mhz)
12.1" Widescreen XGA (1280 x 800) display with TrueLifeTM .
256MB NVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 7400 with TurboCache Graphics Card. (Not the best on market but possibly better than my 6800 in my desktop!)
9-cell extended battery
100GB 7200RPM
Combo Drive - 24x/10x/24x CD Burner and 8x DVD-ROM 8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
4 USB 2.0
5-in-1 removable memory card reader
Built in web cam and mic for using with skype
2 x stereo headphones/speakers miniconnector
Express Card (Don't seem to be many Express cards around yet)

$3850 after adding all the fruit.

In a previous post I mentioned I'm beta testing Windows Home Server but the install didn't go ahead due to my old laptop (Toshiba 3000 not the Dell 710m) not being high enough spec in the RAM department. This new laptop will replace my desktop which will then free it up to become my WHS. It should be good for the job too, it has 910Gb of storage if you count the external 300Gb USB drive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen, I was just wondering when you are actually going to get your website up and running because a number of people are interested in reading how your wife made you both rich facists (I don't care if that's how you do or don't spell because anyone who is constantly bombarded with spam would have read the university study that proved you only need to have the first and lsat ltteer of a word in the right place for it to be read correctly). Anyway I digress, let's get back to your website restore SLA which I am sure by now has been blown therefore I am here to issue and claim my financial penalty for failure of service. Most people now believe you are just a bank robber and I made up the story about investment properties for tax purposes. Which I did because I tried to claim a refund on your houses last year to which the Tax Office responded by sending me some yummy pills and a restraining order.